Friday, January 23, 2009

Relief

As I wrote about earlier this week, I've spent nearly the entire week working hard on this urgent project that got dumped on me.  And, about 15 minutes ago, I finished it!  At least for now that is, until my co-worker (who did most of the project's initial work) looks it over.  Hopefully he doesn't find too much more that needs to be done, because the client really wants these drawings on Monday.

This particular project has been a "trial by fire" for a few of us in various ways.  For me, it's one of the first "normal" projects I've worked on, in other words not for this one pipeline company that has their own unique way of doing things.  I hadn't worked much with a lot of the stuff involved in this project, so it was definitely a learning experience trying to figure stuff out!  For Justin, my coworker who's heading up this whole project, this is his first time doing so, and he's learned a lot about project management.  This project was supposed to be done by the beginning of January, and he has another similar project for the same overall client coming up that's supposed to be done mid-February.  The electrical for the next project is barely started, but it should go quicker than this one because a lot of things can be copied.

So I'm really glad to have gotten this project mostly done by the end of the day today.  Back on Tuesday I thought there was no way it'd happen!  I did have a little assistance from another coworker on a few of the drawings, so that was definitely a help.  Now my brain is tired from rushing to get this done and dealing with a few last minute hassles, and I'm ready to go home!  I really don't want to pick up another project the last 30 minutes on Friday afternoon, so I think I'll spend some time organizing the piles of papers on my desk....

1 comment:

Bill said...

Congrats! That satisfaction is a great feeling, isn't it!