Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Majority rules, minority is annoyed

Last term I was annoyed because of the professor for the directed study I needed to take for my 3rd class. This term I'm annoyed because of the timing of it.

My "3rd class" this term is Discipleship, and it's offered in what they call online hybrid format.  That means most of the work is done online with weekly discussion questions, but there are also 3 in-person meetings and 3 scheduled online chat sessions.  The dates of these 6 scheduled meetings were determined by everyone's schedules, and it worked out that everyone had Wednesday evening free.  The next question was what time on Wednesday, and the prof posed 3 options: 5:30pm, 6pm, or 6:30pm.  Both the classes and the online chat would occur at the same time, though the classes will be 2 1/2 hours long and the chat only 1 1/2 hours.

My typical Wednesday is to get off work at 5pm, go work out for an hour, then go home to have dinner and do homework.  We were all asked to state our preference, and naturally mine was for later rather than earlier so I might have some hope of eating before class.  Naturally, I was overruled.

Apparently everyone else would rather have it be early, though it's interesting that according to the online system only 5 of us stated a preference and I believe there's more than that in the class.  Personally, I would rather not be sitting there until 8pm with my stomach growling!  Plus I'll have to miss my workout, which greatly annoys me.  There is no way I'm working out after class if I haven't eaten yet, because I'm about 98% certain I'd pass out!  I'm thinking there'll be a peanut butter sandwich in my backpack on those days to tide me over so I can make it through class, and apparently my workout just gets screwed.  Fortunately this only happens 3 times during the term, but it's still really annoying.

Even the online chat weeks mess with my workout schedule though.  I always go right from work to workout so I don't have to go out in the cold again after being home, but obviously that can't happen if I'm doing an online chat at home starting at 5:30pm.  At least those weeks I can eat at a decent time, but again my workout will probably get screwed.

And, my weekends will be a little busier because of losing my usual homework time on Wednesday evenings.  After a full day of work and then class, even if I am done around 8pm my brain won't be up for much more comprehension.

Sigh... isn't it great being one of the 4 people screwed over by the "new" course system??

2 comments:

Bill said...

So what time is your online class? 5:30?

Katie said...

Yep - online chat and in-person meetings are at the same time, 5:30pm.