Thursday, January 15, 2009

Confusion is fun... or something

Last night to prepare for tonight's Hebrew class, I looked at the syllabus to figure out what passage of the Bible we would be starting with so I could have it written out and somewhat translated before getting to class, so it's easier to make notes on it.  Last term I thought I recalled the prof saying that this term we'd be studying Psalms and Isaiah, and those are the two books he wanted us to order for this term.  So I became rather confused when the passages listed on the syllabus for each week are primarily from Genesis and Deuteronomy, with Psalms only coming in on the last 2 weeks and no Isaiah at all!

So I wouldn't be going into class completely unprepared, I went ahead and wrote out the first passage in Hebrew (Genesis 12:1-7) and did a little translating, though not every word because I didn't want to spend way too much time on it if that wasn't really what we were covering.

This morning I happened to be chatting briefly with one of my friends who's in the Tuesday afternoon section of Hebrew (since they split us up this term) and I asked her what the deal was with that.  She said that the passages listed on the syllabus are intended by the prof for us to use as devotional material to help us learn Hebrew better, and that we really are studying Psalms and Isaiah this term.

So I'm really (sarcastically) glad I spent time last night writing out the passage from Genesis, and that I'm going into tonight's class unprepared for what we're covering!  Too bad the syllabus couldn't list actual assignments under the "Assignments" section...

As much as I like this Hebrew prof, his lack of structure and such really does astound me sometimes.  His inductive teaching method doesn't work nearly as well with my brain as a regular deductive method, which is why last term I figured out my own deductive method and used it myself.  He's nowhere near as orderly and structured as most profs, but it takes all kinds to make the world, eh?

No comments: