Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another Tuesday

Another day in the life of Katie... nothing really out of the ordinary for a Tuesday, so I guess I'll blog about my average day.

It started off on a down note, waking up with a migraine.  That hasn't happened to me for quite a while, in fact this was my first migraine of 2009.  After breakfast I took Excedrin Migraine for it, and shortly after I got to work it was totally gone!  Fortunately it stayed gone all day long too, and the medicine helped me wake up this morning (one dose contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee).  I don't typically drink anything caffeinated in the morning (if at all) so I noticed the difference.

At work today I tried unsuccessfully to finish 2 projects.  One is a small one to design a loading skid, and all I'm waiting on is for the guy at the facility to get back with me on how I can run electrical conduits to and from it.  We started discussing it late Friday afternoon and ran out of time in the workday.  Yesterday morning I called him and left a message, I'm guessing he had a holiday like many other companies (besides us).  Today I still didn't hear back from him so I followed up with another phone call and an email... hopefully tomorrow!  He's aware that he's what's holding up our completion of the project.

The other project is the Project Book I wrote about last week.  Due to various other people's work trips, we still haven't gotten the ok to send that thing out.  I found out this morning that yesterday the word from our client's project manager is that he may want to take some stuff out of the table of contents, but we don't have any specifics yet and probably won't until maybe the end of this week at the very earliest.  So that one is still on hold too, and again it's the client holding up the project's completion and not us.

So I ended up working on another project that suddenly became quite urgent.  My coworker Milan had worked on it last fall, then I picked it up in December when he got transferred to another project, then I finished what I knew how to do and left it for him to review.  He finally had time to review it over the weekend and decided that a bunch more work should be done to it.  So now I have more than a week's worth of work to do on it before Monday... not gonna happen!  Fortunately I should be able to hand off some of it to another coworker, but it's still going to be a bit tight to get it done.  Hopefully it'll go quicker than I'm expecting, but it's difficult to jump into someone else's work!

I had Studies in Paul class this evening, and it was awesome like last week.  We studied Paul's letter to the Philippians this week and how it was a letter of friendship.  The prof's thesis was that we need to learn this "antilanguage" of friendship so we can honor Christ and be like him.  He supported that thesis by going through the different examples Paul gave of such characteristics.  He also showed the ending of the movie Babe to illustrate how language of friendship influences others as opposed to harsh language.  This "antilanguage" of friendship is completely contrary to the way the world speaks, primarily self-serving and self-promoting.  While the world may ridicule us for speaking in friendship and love, it honors Christ and that's what's important.

Ok, enough preaching for now... :-) I'm in a theological mood tonight, between the lecture in class and spending the break time having a theological discussion with a friend.  Very enlightening indeed.

That pretty much sums up my Tuesday!  On to bed shortly and then Wednesday...

No comments: