Sunday, April 5, 2009

My new (to me) toy

A few weeks ago I was discussing my exercise routine (or lack of it lately due to funky class schedules), and he mentioned that they see treadmills on garage sales all the time, and they're not terribly expensive, like in the $100 range.  That totally got me thinking... and looking on Craigslist.org!  Last week I found one in McComb (about 10 min from here) going for $100 or best offer.  It's a very basic treadmill, and they were selling it because the lady had back surgery and couldn't use it anymore.  So I emailed her about it, asked a few questions, offered $75, and she said ok!

Last night Bill and I finally went to pick it up.  They were very nice people, way out in the boonies.  They raise chickens and some sort of mini something dogs, and they used to raise goats!  We gave the treadmill a quick try, loaded it up, chatted a bit, and headed home.

We decided to put it in the living room, next to the bottom of the stairs.  The only problem with that is there's no electrical outlet there, and the cord just barely reaches to the outlet on the other side of the stairs!  Until Bill gets a new outlet put in, I'll just plug and unplug it each time.

I tried it out this morning, and realized my body isn't to a morning workout!  I was definitely feeling the burn, and only walked about 15 minutes.  It's controls are a lot less sophisticated than the nearly new treadmills I'm used to at the UF cardio center, but for the convenience of home I'll definitely get used to it.

My plan now is to get up 15-20 min earlier every morning to walk/run 15-20 minutes on the treadmill, then shower afterwards before going to work of course!  My previous workout routine was to go to the cardio center Mondays and Wednesdays after work.  Well this past term I had a class immediately after work on every other Wednesday, and next term I'll have a class every other Wednesday too, which means only 6 workouts a month!  I really feel like I'm getting nowhere working out so little, so this way I can work out every day if I feel like it.  I might still go to the cardio center for the weights once a week or something, we'll see.

So far I'm enjoying my new toy, and I'm even planning to have enough motivation to continue using it! :-)

No comments: