Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend Recap

The weekend turned out to be busier for me than I had expected, but overall it was plenty of fun... ideal for my first non-homework weekend of this break from school!

Saturday morning Bill went to Lima to hook up his mom's new washer and dryer that she purchased on a Black Friday sale that weren't in stock at the time.  While he was gone, I went shopping!  Kohl's was having a sale so I went there in search of corduroy pants (mine are so old they've lost their corduroy-ness) but struck out on that front.  Naturally there were no tall sizes in stock, but I may have found some others that might just be long enough... at least they might if they had my size.  So I got a couple tops anyway, since the sales were really good.  I've had to stop wearing an alarming number of my sweaters this year because of shrinking sleeve lengths!  I also swung by the Salvation Army and picked up 3 more sweaters quite cheap, because even they were having a sale!  It's just as well though, since they've recently almost doubled their prices from a year ago.  I enjoy shopping there because you know that pretty much anything you buy has already been worn and washed, so it'll fit the same after I wash it too.  Plus it's cheap. :-)

Saturday late afternoon Bill and I headed up to our friends Brian and Melody's house in Grand Rapids, OH, for a Nintendo Wii party.  It was a fun evening full of food and video games!  They had 4 Wii systems set up throughout the house.  One had Guitar Hero, one had Mario Kart, one had Wii Fit, and the last had another Guitar Hero with more instruments.  I found out I'm actually a pretty good drummer on Guitar Hero, and I had tons of fun with that too!  Bill discovered he's good at regular Guitar Hero.  It was fun just to hang out and relax and enjoy some video games, and to discover our new talents! :-)

Sunday morning at church our friend Jeff mentioned how he needed Bill's help fixing his side door.  Jeff tried to fix it the previous day but it just didn't go so well.  So after church we headed to their house, and Bill and Jeff worked on their door while Jeff's wife Keli and I hung out and played with their 3 kids.  I was telling them about Buckeye Pie (basically chocolate and peanut butter ish) so we decided it'd be a good day to make some.  I took Kyra (their 8-year-old daughter) with me to the store to get the ingredients, and we made 2 pies... and then proceeded to eat most of one of them. :-)

When Bill agreed to help Jeff fix their door, the other half of the deal was for Jeff to help Bill put up our new screen door.  Bill got it on a Black Friday sale at at complete steal of a price.  We're very happy to be done with that old brown one we had up!  For one thing it really didn't match the house (except for the brown gutters which also don't match), and it was a pain to open because you had to smack the handle a certain way.  So, around dinner time everyone came to our house!  I played our Wii with Keli and the kids - who did surprisingly well at bowling, by the way - while the men worked on the door.  Bill made dinner for everyone (pork and stuffing, one of his specialties) and then they went home... and we collapsed!  We admire anyone who can keep up with kids like those three (Kyra is 8, Kyle is 7, and Ethan is 4) for more than one day at a time!

So all in all it was a fun homework-free weekend... and it's back to the daily grind today, though it's only the work part of the daily grind and not the school part for the next 4 weeks!

No comments: