Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend in Review

I know I'm a little late with my typical weekend recap post (since lately I'm rarely by the computer on the weekend) but here it is.

Friday I left work an hour early to head up to Dearborn, MI, to see my parents.  In particular, I went up there that night to see my mom's kindergarten class in their Christmas program, with the preschoolers.  The kindergarteners were all excited to meet their teacher's "big girl" too!  The program was very cute and the kids did a great job, and so did the accompanist! :-)

After the program, all the teachers involved in it and their families went to Buddy's Pizza.  We attempted to go to Miller's Bar (known all over metro Detroit for having the best burgers) but there was too long of a wait.  But it's just as well, because Buddy's is really good too!

We then headed back to my parents' house and I set up Guitar Hero game on my dad's Nintendo Wii.  I figured my dad would like it, but who knew even my mom would have fun with it!  It turns out Daddy's really good on the guitar and Mom's pretty good on the drums.  (I prefer the drums myself, and Bill prefers the guitar.)  We were all up til after 11pm playing it, it was totally fun!

The next morning Mom had a rehearsal for her Sunday School Christmas program, so Daddy made me blueberry muffins for breakfast - just like the old days!  After that we went to downtown Detroit so he could show me around the fancy new entrance area that was just completed at DTE Energy where I used to work.  It definitely looks cool and modern, but the whole complex is rather confused now - parts are really new and parts are still really old.  But it was still cool to see.

We ended up going to Miller's Bar for lunch that day (since we missed out the night before!) and we even saw Santa Claus there!  It's just that good of a place - even the Big Guy himself comes all the way from the North Pole to eat there.  In the afternoon Mom and I went shopping and I found a couple new sweaters, which is good since I've had to retire a number of mine recently because the sleeves shrunk (or my arms grew?).

At my request we went to Pizza Papalis for dinner that night - yum!  They have wonderfully cheesy deep dish pizza, and I even got to bring a couple slices home.  I was so full, but it was so good!  After that I headed home, leaving in freezing rain but on dry roads after about half an hour.

Sunday Bill and I hung out at home after church.  He finished the last area of laminate floor to be done outside his office door, and I baked sugar cookies.  Rather than doing all the fun shapes I opted for just circles, and apparently you somehow get more cookies that way - nearly 9 dozen in fact!  But that doesn't work out so well for frosting, because I ran out with about 20 cookies still unfrosted, so I made a half batch to take care of those.  I'm going to take some of them in to work tomorrow for the guys... only about 2 dozen though, since I want to eat some too!  Bill gets half of them (cuz that's just the way things work apparently) so the ones I take to work come out of my half.  I've learned from the past that if don't divide them right after they're made, I end up getting very few of them.  I guess it's a compliment that they're good, but I like to enjoy them too! :-)

And that pretty much sums up my very enjoyable weekend!

No comments: