Friday, December 19, 2008

Almost normal again

Well we're back to most of our functionality, at least at home - our power returned sometime around 1:40pm.  I had an errand to run for work after lunch and afterwards I swung by work, but nobody was there so I came home, and wouldn't you know it - the lights are on!

Bill is currently on his way home from Lima, where he went to pick up some heaters for tonight.  We'll still need those, since our furnace is still not working - that was completely unrelated to the ice storm and power outages.  The part for the furnace will arrive tomorrow sometime, and fortunately the cost is covered under our home warranty - I believe it'd be in the neighborhood of $450 otherwise.  Now if only we can find someone to install it... just kidding! :-)

The other interesting issue from this morning is that our dining room and living room windows (on the driveway side of the house) started leaking!  We found a large puddle on the dining room floor, and the couch in the living room was a little damp.  We were able to mop up all the water and left some towels on the windowsills to sop up some more.  Fortunately I can dry the original wet towels (from there and the utility room floor) now that the power is back on.  The windows aren't actively leaking anymore, but then it's not actively raining anymore either.  Hopefully we'll be able to discover the cause fairly soon and hopefully it'll be an easy fix!

As far as I know the power is still out at work.  I did stay and work all morning on a project with another guy that didn't require computer use.  Fortunately all our offices have a window for light!  Nearly everyone came in to work this morning, except for the guy who plows snow, but gradually they all left until there were 4 of us left at noon.  Apparently by 2pm even the bosses gave up and went home.

So this just might be a good time to get some stuff done - wrapping Christmas presents, some house cleaning, Christmas baking... and with any luck we'll have heat again tomorrow! :-)

No comments: