Sunday, August 3, 2008

That was fun... now back to life!

Bill and I spent this weekend with my parents up in Dearborn, MI.  While I don't think Bill had quite as much fun as I did, I definitely thought it was an enjoyable weekend!

Friday night we headed up there around 7pm, after Bill got home and we loaded everything and he did a service call in the north part of Findlay for work.  By the time we got to my parents' house it was just after 9pm, and Bill and Daddy still wanted to get the first coat of stain on the pantry doors for my parents' kitchen that still needed trim pieces cut and fastened to them!  By the time all that got done, it was about midnight and we were all ready for bed.

Saturday morning was relatively leisurely, though Bill got a few early calls on his cell that woke me up.  Mom and I went to the Dearborn Homecoming festival (think county fair for those of you not from Dearborn) and walked around a bit.  We said hi to the guy who used to run the Dearborn Recreation park program I worked at for 3 summers (who also taught me art & freshman religion in high school), looked at the crafts, checked out the food to see if there was anything exciting, then left.  After that, we went to the Henry Ford Museum to see the Chocolate exhibit, after having the largest hot dog I had ever seen at the Wienermobile cafe.  After that we went to Greenfield Village, watched some of the craft people, and just generally walked around... and we couldn't resist getting frozen custard!  We rounded out the afternoon by going to the movies to see Mamma Mia!  Mom had already seen it once but liked it so much she wanted to see it again, and I definitely enjoyed it as well.

During all that time, Bill and Daddy were working on staining and putting the clear coats on the new pantry doors, plus taking care of a few other miscellaneous things around my parents' house.  Bill installed a new ceiling fan for my brother and his wife too.  Unfortunately, in the process of cutting new pantry shelves on the table saw, one of them kicked back at Bill and he jammed his wrist pretty bad.  It was really sore last night but seems to be feeling better today, though it's not back to being completely fully functioning yet.

We all rounded out the day with dinner at Olga's Kitchen (boy do we miss that in Findlay!), and then a few more clear coats on the doors.  I also spent a while chatting with Aunt Debbie who I don't get to see very often, so that was fun.  And I spent a few minutes talking to my cousin Mary Ann when she got home from work, which was also cool.

This morning Bill and I had a mega-church experience at North Ridge in Plymouth, MI.  We weren't sure where to go to church this morning, but that sounded like a good place; I had been there 3 times before for other events, but this was our first worship service there.  The teaching was good, though the place was way too huge for us!  I believe they worship something like 8,000 people on a weekend, between 4 services.  We met my parents at Leon's for lunch, and then headed back to their house.

In the afternoon, Bill and Daddy got the pantry doors all hung and I went next door to help Aunt Debbie with hanging some new shade brackets, since she got new windows a week ago and they didn't put stuff back up, and some shades didn't fit right.  But I had very little luck since the plaster was insanely hard and I just couldn't get screws to go in!  So I had to call for backup - Bill!  While he did that, Daddy drove me downtown to see all the changes that were made to the DTE Energy complex where I used to work.  That was sure something, they've done a great job fixing up the parts they've fixed up, but the rest looks really old compared to all the new parts!

Bill and I packed up and headed out by around 5pm, stopping for dinner at CiCi's Pizza in Toledo.  We haven't unloaded all the tools from the car yet, but we did get our clothes and stuff like that out.  I'm really rather sleepy this evening after a big weekend, but it's definitely worth it because it was so much fun!  A really big thank you to my parents for giving us such an enjoyable weekend!! :-)

No comments: