Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekend recap

Since I've had a blogging silence these last few days, I figured it was about time I posted an update.

Friday was a pretty uneventful day.  Bill and I both worked all day, went out to dinner and took care of some miscellaneous things in the evening, and stopped by our friends Jeff and Keli's house for a little while so Bill could check out their furnace.

Saturday Bill went to a flea market in Tiffin, OH, with his mom and older sister and I stayed home to have my usual Saturday of homework and laundry.  I got all the laundry done by early afternoon and was making some progress on homework when around 4pm I got a pounding headache.  Normally I can still get stuff done even with a headache but this one was way too bad so I took Excedrin and went in the bedroom and laid down.  Bill and his family got back to our house and wanted to go out to dinner, so I went with them even though my head was still pounding.  We did a whole lot of nothing the rest of the evening, and a little after 9:30pm my head was still pounding so I took Excedrin PM to help me get some sleep and went to bed.

Sunday morning I woke up about 4:30am, and you guessed it - my head was still pounding and hadn't gotten any better.  I laid there and tried to doze for a while, and around 6am Bill stirred so I told him what was going on.  He suggested we call my mom (a former nurse) to ask what to do about my headache.  Luckily she was up so we got ahold of her and she advised going to see a doctor asap.  Since there is no 24-hour operation in Findlay besides the emergency room, that's where we went.  Fortunately they were extremely prompt there!

By 7am we had seen a doctor and the nurse gave me an IV with drugs in it.  Apparently there were 2 drugs... the first was an anti-nausea drug since the second was supposed to make me nauseous!  The first one made me really light headed for a few minutes.  Once those got in my system they took me for a CAT scan.  By the time that was done my headache was gone, but I had the weirdest sensation in the rest of my body - it was like my muscles just would not relax.  Around 9am we got the diagnosis that they suspect it was a migraine, even though I didn't have any other symptoms that usually accompany migraines (sensitive to light and sound, nausea, etc).  They gave me a prescription for Imitrex which I'll get filled this evening, I'll need to take it at the onset of a bad headache.  We left the ER around 9:30am and headed home.

After getting home Bill left for church and I tried to rest, but was highly unsuccessful.  I was really tired but I still had that sensation of my muscles wanting to move around and not relax, so I was pretty restless for a while.  After church our congregation was having the annual meeting which I wanted to go to so Bill came home and picked me up for that.  I managed to sit through it fairly well, and after we got home from that I was finally able to rest - I slept for about 2 hours!  We did a whole lot of nothing the rest of the day and went to bed around 9pm.

Today I'm feeling better though I still have a little bit of that weird sensation going on where my body is somewhat restless.  But I've been able to get a bunch of work done at the office today so that's good.

Unfortunately, I had two big things I wanted to get done over the weekend that I didn't - write a paper for Spiritual Formation class, and work on the sermon I'm preaching this Sunday at St. Michael.  I need to do the sermon prep tonight since I have to at least provide the texts and a title to the church tomorrow morning so they can print their bulletins.  Fortunately I don't have any classes this week (it's intensive week and I'm not taking an intensive class) so I'm really not behind on anything.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Interesting reading about Imatrex
http://www.migrainehelp.com/