Today was grocery day for me! I get groceries over my lunch hour since homework ranks higher on the priority list than groceries for my evenings. I have one hour to leave work, go to Walmart, get groceries, check out, drive home, unload and put away groceries, and eat lunch, drive back to work. Normally I have absolutely no trouble accomplishing that, since I'm a speed shopper Walmart and know where everything's at. (Yes, sometimes I even write out the list so it's in the right order of how stuff's laid out in the store!) The only part of the process that sometimes holds me up is checking out at Walmart... like today, for example.
I left work at 12:00, I was walking into Walmart at 12:05. I had a lengthy list today and had to go through most of the store (not just the grocery section), but I still managed to be ready to check out at 12:15. And then it came to a standstill... they only had 4 lanes open today, and 3 were express lanes for 20 items or less! And naturally the one regular lane had 3 large carts full of groceries ahead of me. Sigh. The cashier was moving at a decent pace, though she's not as good as Tammy. She's one of the "regulars" I see most days I'm there at lunch, and she's normally there on Wednesdays too. She knows what she's doing and is nicely efficient, so I always try and get in her lane if I can.
So by 12:30, the cashier was just starting to ring up my groceries! I got home at 12:42, which gave me precisely 8 minutes to cook and eat my lunch. I nuked some leftover mac & cheese while putting groceries away, ate, and got to work at 12:59.
I know no one would care if I didn't get back til 1:05 or something, since I don't have nazi boss anymore, but it's the principle of it. And anyone who knows me knows that I really hate being late, even if it's just going back to work after lunch. :-)
I left work at 12:00, I was walking into Walmart at 12:05. I had a lengthy list today and had to go through most of the store (not just the grocery section), but I still managed to be ready to check out at 12:15. And then it came to a standstill... they only had 4 lanes open today, and 3 were express lanes for 20 items or less! And naturally the one regular lane had 3 large carts full of groceries ahead of me. Sigh. The cashier was moving at a decent pace, though she's not as good as Tammy. She's one of the "regulars" I see most days I'm there at lunch, and she's normally there on Wednesdays too. She knows what she's doing and is nicely efficient, so I always try and get in her lane if I can.
So by 12:30, the cashier was just starting to ring up my groceries! I got home at 12:42, which gave me precisely 8 minutes to cook and eat my lunch. I nuked some leftover mac & cheese while putting groceries away, ate, and got to work at 12:59.
I know no one would care if I didn't get back til 1:05 or something, since I don't have nazi boss anymore, but it's the principle of it. And anyone who knows me knows that I really hate being late, even if it's just going back to work after lunch. :-)



1 comment:
Next time think about taking the leftovers back to work with you and nuke/eat them there.
You'd get back to work a few minutes early to make up for the time you spend nuking the leftovers.
Post a Comment