Sunday, September 7, 2008

Frogs

First of all I just want to say thank you to everyone who commented on my post about the loss of my frogs last weekend.  Your supportive comments really mean a lot to me!

I am still awaiting a response from the City of Findlay Water Treatment Department to my inquiry about what could have been in the water last weekend.  On Friday (yeah, it took me all week to get to it!) I emailed and received a response from the secretary there, and she informed me that she forwarded my question on to the head laboratory technician and to the water superintendent.  I'm hoping to receive a reply from them early this week.

But I'm pretty certain I will go ahead and have a new family of frogs.  My biggest concern is that Bill has never been very fond of them, and he could never tell them apart anyway.  He assured me it's ok for me to get more though, and I think I'll be taking him up on that.

My thought now is to start with just 2 and see how they do, making sure the water is ok and all that.  Here's my biggest dilemma though:  what do I name them?

With the exception of Jeremiah, all of my frogs have had mathematical or scientific names.  But now that I'm starting from scratch so to speak, I'm open to a new naming theme.  Keep in mind that names have to be gender-neutral - you don't know if a particular frog is a boy or girl until they're about 8 months old!

One option I've come up with are Greek words, or possibly Hebrew ones once I learn some this fall.  I had Pi (the Greek letter "p") and Sigma (the Greek letter "s") before, but that was because they represent mathematical and engineering stuff.  I haven't picked out any particular words yet, but there are definitely plenty out there.

Another option is to use Biblical names, but without knowing the gender of the frog that would be difficult to use accurately... I wouldn't want a Ruth to turn out to be a boy, or a Matthew to be a girl for example.  And no, changing names later on is not an option... take it from someone who knows, that can definitely cause confusion. :-)

So I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on naming!  (Leave them in the comments.)  I definitely want to have at least a few names picked out before I order more frogs, which I'm hoping will be sometime in the next few weeks.

No comments: