Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Theological Summit - Fall 2008

As I wrote briefly last night, yesterday was the Theological Summit which kicks off the new term at Winebrenner.  It's essentially a 1 credit hour course that just meets that one day, and then each student writes a 4-8 page reflection paper on it (due 10 days later).  There's worship times, lecture times, table discussion times, breaks to chat with friends and make new ones, and of course food - they serve dinner plus there's snacks throughout the day.

I've absolutely loved the 3 previous Summits I've attended, but I have to say this one was lacking in some ways... primarily in the worship times in my opinion.  An outside band comes in to lead the worship times, and this year it was 2 guys, Bryan Crissman and Bill Phillpis.  Bryan played the piano, Bill played the guitar, and they both sang.  Their music was a little too "folksy" for my tastes, and it didn't help that I hardly knew any of the songs they played!  In the past, groups typically did a lot of mainstream songs so the audience can more easily participate in the worship, which is difficult when you don't know a song and it's difficult to follow the melody!

The lecture sessions were good, and very informative!  The general topic was discipleship, and the focus was on being a disciple yourself so that you can make disciples.  The lecture I remember most was the second one (by a guest speaker, Jack Selcher) where he discussed spiritual disciplines - what they are and why they should be practiced.  His evening lecture session was also good, and it was more of a workshop actually where we could evaluate ourselves and things like that.

So now I just need to write the paper... I think I'll at least get started on it tonight so I can get it out of the way and work on homework that's due at the first class sessions next week!

No comments: