Monday, July 7, 2008

Amazon Associates

Scroll down here on my main blog page, and on the left you'll see some nifty little spinning book pictures!  Today I signed up for Amazon.com's Associates program.  You can create free widgets (like those you see in my sidebar) that highlight certain products or whatever.  If you purchase any products you see there (or possibly anything from Amazon, I'm not sure) by clicking on them from my site, 15% of your total purchase goes to help out a poor seminary student - me! :-) I chose to earn it via Amazon.com gift certificates, which I'll use to purchase more books once I earn enough.

So if you're in the mood for some interesting (or maybe not so interesting) reading, check out my widgets.  Since you're limited to 10 items per widget, I created three of them... one for each seminary term's textbooks.  I couldn't fit all of this term's books in, so I left out the really boring ones!  If you'd like my opinion or anything about any of them, just leave a comment or send me an email.

5 comments:

Bill said...

If I just want to buy something from Amazon, can I do that and have you get some credit as well? Or can I juts buy things in your widgets?

Katie said...

That's a good question... I just browsed a bit on the Amazon Associates page, and I did find out that I earn various rates (up to 15%) depending on what it is the person buys and in what quantity.

I can't find an answer to your question though. I think I'll ask them.

geekgrrl said...

Glad to see you decided to do that. :D

You should have an Associates ID. If he uses that, when he purchases, it'll give you cash. I'm not exactly sure how to splice it into the URL (perhaps try adding "&tag=kd0ee-20" at the end of the URL). You should be able to link to individual books within your posts too, if you talk about one or whatever.

I *think* your ID may be: kd0ee-20

HTH

Katie said...

Yep, my Associates ID is kd0ee-20... so if you can figure out how to use it, that'd be great! I emailed Amazon last night about how that kind of stuff works and haven't heard back yet.

Katie said...

I received a response from Amazon:

In order to ensure that your web site receives credit for an order they will need to start their shopping session from your site.

After they have clicked through to Amazon.com from your site, they begin adding items to their shopping cart. Items added within 24 hours after clicking through from your Associate’s web site will be tagged with your Associate’s ID (Note: they will not see your Associate’s ID). Credit will not be given for items already in their cart from a previous visit to Amazon.com.

Please also note that they will not receive a notice when you are credited for their purchases.