Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The official foot diagnosis

Yesterday during the day my foot was doing ok, but last night it was extremely sore. Since it was still sore this morning, I figured it was time to do something about it because it's been more than a week since I injured it. Over lunch I went to the local urgent care place, and I must say they're definitely efficient there - I was in and out in 45 minutes, including x-rays and all that!

So the doctor took a look at my foot, pressed on different spots and moved it around to see what hurt, and said x-rays were definitely necessary.  They did 3 x-rays, and the doctor said he didn't see anything broken.  The x-rays will be sent to the hospital for their radiologists to look at, and I need to call the urgent care place tomorrow after work to see if they found anything major.  Apparently after a week, any broken bone will have a large calcium deposit around it which shows up as a bright white blob on the x-ray, and this doctor didn't see any of that.

The official diagnosis (at least for now) is a bad strain.  I asked how long it should take to heal, and he said anywhere from 2-10 weeks!  He said about 3-4 weeks was likely for me.  He offered me a prescription pain drug, but there really isn't that much pain so I declined.  He said to keep doing what I've been doing - stay off it, ice it, keep it elevated, and take Ibuprofen.  If it's still not doing better in another couple weeks he said to go see my regular doctor and he might recommend physical therapy.

I'm still annoyed that there's not much else I can do to get it better any sooner, since I really miss riding my bike and exercising!  But I'm glad to have the peace of mind that there's nothing worse going on.

No comments: