Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's a Mess Down There

Well the guy who came to find and fix our gas leak discovered a serious mess in the crawl space... there are a bunch of decent sized leaks, in basically every line! So pretty much all of our gas lines for the house need to be replaced. I had him talk to Bill on the phone about all of this stuff. He's currently writing up an estimate of what it would cost for him to do all the work (probably during the week, since overtime is rather expensive!). Bill will probably end up doing the work himself, he's going to call Dave (his boss) and discuss it with him as far as timing, getting parts, etc.

Unfortunately, about a month ago we changed out our water heater... we had electric, but now we have gas! If not for that we'd at least have hot water. So until all this gas mess is fixed we have no hot water, no dryer (I still have a partially dry load of clothes and a sopping wet load), no furnace, and no fireplace. We could care less about the fireplace this time of year, and luckily it's not supposed to get that cold even overnight so lack of furnace shouldn't be a big deal. I'll call a friend to see about borrowing a dryer so I don't have to pay a quarter for every 5 minutes of drying time at the laundromat. But no hot water will be rough... I'll have to call around and see whose shower we can borrow in the morning! Plus no washing dishes either. Our hot tub in the back yard will still be hot, but I'm not all that keen on getting soap and shampoo in it!

And on top of all that, Calli decided today would be a good day to explore the crawl space! I had left the cover off to help vent the gas out after the Columbia guy was here earlier. When the Siferd (leak repair) guy went down there, he shined the flashlight around and saw Calli! She ran away from him at first, but a while later I peeked down the crawl hole and she was walking in circles crying because she couldn't jump up (the laundry room floor is about 5 feet up from the floor of the crawl at that point). So I hopped down there, grabbed her, and tossed her up into the laundry room. She went into the living room and sat there to lick her paws, which were brown from walking around in the dirt down there. That little stinker!! Needless to say I have now covered the crawl space opening.

So it's been quite an eventful day! And here it is almost 5pm and I've gotten almost no reading done, and I'm about 2 pages in on my Summit reflection paper. Sigh.....

No comments: