Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekend Recap

I'm not really sure I want to recap this past weekend, but for those who want to know what's been going on, I will.

As a follow up to my post on our construction project last week, on Thursday evening our friends Ken and Jennie generously offered me their guest room!  They don't have any pets so it was perfect, plus they have a full bath for guests as well so I didn't have to worry about timing of showers in the morning or anything.  I stayed there Thursday and Friday nights, and it was so great being able to breathe, and getting to take showers!

Anyhow, the weekend started with a headache Friday afternoon at work, which then turned into a migraine by the time I got off work.  Fortunately after work I had planned to pick up a refill of my migraine prescription!  We had small group meeting that evening which I skipped because I felt awful, I had a little nausea with my migraine this time.  Fortunately the house was aired out enough that I wasn't having much trouble breathing, but our bathroom still was not functional.  I went to Ken and Jennie's house for a while in the evening and then slept there too so I could get a good night's sleep.

Saturday morning the migraine was down to a dull headache, so I was able to get some stuff done - laundry, homework, chores around the house, take care of some hospitality stuff for church, etc.  I finished everything I needed to do before Bill got off work at 4pm, yay!  Fortunately I had been working ahead on homework since I didn't think I'd have much time for it this weekend with the wall project and all.

We spent Saturday evening working on the wall project some more, specifically doing plumbing.  Our friend Justin came over to help Bill with stuff, while I was mainly the "go-for" out to the garage, elsewhere in the house, or to Lowe's.  A few trips to Lowe's and a bunch of work later, around 11pm our bathroom became fully functional again!!  They got the shower surround up and finished up the plumbing for the tub drain and the sewer line, and then I cleaned up the mess of tools and construction debris from the bathroom so it was somewhat decent.  There's still some finish work that needs done in there, but I'm so excited it's functional!

Just when I thought I was done with migraines for a while, Sunday morning I woke up with a bad headache.  As I was getting ready for church it just got worse and worse, and was definitely a migraine by the time I was ready to leave, so I stayed home and crawled back in bed (after starting my migraine meds of course).  All morning I watched TV, dozed, and took my drugs, but to no avail.  After all of the allowable doses of the meds, the migraine was still going strong.  I was supposed to attend the planning meeting for our church in the afternoon, but there was no way I was up to it.  Even if I was feeling well enough to go, I don't think I would have been worth much!  Bill had to work until 5pm, so around 2:15 I contacted my friend Kara to see if she'd take me to the urgent care center to get rid of the migraine.  She's such an awesome friend that she came and got me right away!  As usual they gave me a shot of toradol, and about by around 5pm, the migraine was gone!  I still think it's funny that a shot in my butt cures my headache. :)

Bill and I spent the evening doing some cleaning around the house, though somewhat lazily.  We got the kitchen into a usable state, which makes me feel a ton better!  He also did a lot of cleaning of construction junk in the living room so we can somewhat use the room now.  He filled our large shop vac twice, plus a couple big contractor garbage bags, and that was after he already made a trip to the dump with his 4'x8' trailer full... yikes!  All the trash was mostly insulation, wall pieces, and old plumbing.  At this point, we're ready to start wall reconstruction, which I think will be happening on Wednesday and Thursday since those are Bill's days off this week. At this point Bill is thinking we won't need to take the siding and sheeting off the outside in the spring, so that would definitely be nice!  He's still going to sister in new studs next to the old ones, then re-insulate and replace the drywall.  The worst part will be the sanding of the drywall, but I think he has devised a way to contain at least most of it - hanging plastic across that corner of the living room, with a fan in the window next to that area to blow it outside as much as possible.  I will definitely not be participating in the sanding, and it's great to know that I have friends I can stay with if it gets too bad for my asthma!

Speaking of my asthma, hopefully that will be a lot better on a regular basis now.  When I went to the doctor last week, he started me on a daily med for asthma (called Flovent).  I haven't gone to anybody's house with dogs or multiple cats where I'd usually have trouble yet to see how good it does, but today I did get confirmation from my doctor that I can still use my Albuterol inhaler I've been using for years if I need it.

And while I'm on the subject of health and migraines, I called Wal-Mart's vision center about an eye appointment at lunch time today, since it's been over a year since I had my eyes checked and that helped the migraines last year.  They said they could get me in this evening after work, so I said sure!  Turns out my prescription did not change at all, so that must not be it.  But at least it's good to know.

So overall it was a pretty icky weekend for me, since I feel like I spent most of it in bed with a headache!  But it's over now, and I've been headache-free today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

I'm so sorry you suffer from migraines. I've heard they're awful! I will keep praying for you. Love you!

Anonymous said...

By the way, this is Karen :)