Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Busy Weekend Recap

Even my Monday was pretty full this week, so hence my weekend recap post is fairly late this week!

My weekend started a little early when I left work at 4pm Friday afternoon.  I headed up to Dearborn so I could make sure to be there in time for my mom's kindergarten class's Christmas program.  I got to meet her class, and then I took a lot of pictures and some videos for Mom during the program.  It was really adorable, and the kids did a great job!  Their program was called "Hide and Seek Christmas" or something like that, and included the whole nativity story with some extra bits about animals and such.  After the program, we went out with the other teachers to Miller's Bar, a local Dearborn hangout.  Their entire food menu consists of hamburger, cheeseburger, onion rings, and fries, but they've been in business for many years!  I had a cheeseburger and fries, and it was delightful!

Saturday morning I slept in a bit, and then Daddy made us blueberry muffins for breakfast.  He and I polished off the whole dozen, yum!  We then went over to my parents' church to help with Christmas decorating.  See the picture below for what we helped with...




Daddy put both tops on the trees, and I did a lot of the lights.  I also replaced a couple of flood lights that were burned out near the sanctuary ceiling.  I had fun, because I got to climb on ladders for a few hours! :) It was also fun seeing some of the people there, who I hadn't really seen in many years.  A few of them didn't recognize me it had been so long!  They ordered pizza for all of us for lunch from Little Caesar's, and then Daddy and I headed home.

A little while after that, my mom, my aunt Debbie, and my cousin Mary Ann headed over to Henry Ford Museum.  We checked out the Lego exhibit there, which was pretty cool with plenty of detailed models of various types as well as models of famous structures (Detroit's Renaissance Center, the Eiffel Tower, the World Trade Center, etc).  That was pretty cool, but then we found something even better... the train display!  Normally at Christmastime, they have a huge train display set up with gingerbread houses and such. This year, instead, they had a Lego train display!  They created Detroit area buildings (including a few houses from Greenfield Village) out of Legos, and even had such details as traffic lights and street signs and people walking around their little city. You can click here for my pictures from our Museum trip, including a bunch of the Lego train display.

Saturday night my parents took me out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants, Pizza Papalis.  I just love their Chicago style deep dish pizza!  Unfortunately we had to wait a while for a table, but we were able to get our pizza order in so that it was ready about the time we sat down.  Yum!  After dinner I had a good drive back home to Findlay.

Sunday was a fairly busy day for us getting caught up on some errands.  Friday night Bill's laptop died, so he researched some sales and such and used his allowance to buy a new one Sunday afternoon.  He got it from Best Buy, and it's an Asus model of some sort.  He's still getting used to Windows 7, but is happy to have a comptuer again!  We also picked up our new carpet Sunday afternoon, and stored in temporarily in a friends' garage.  Once our drywall project (yes, the one started back in September when we tore out a wall of our house) is complete, we'll get stuff painted and then lay new carpet in our bedroom, the landing, and on the stairs.  It desparately needs replaced anyway, and when Lowe's employees had an extra discount a couple weeks ago we decided that'd be a good time to buy new carpet!  We were going to have Lowe's install it for us, but they charge a lot for stairs plus they wouldn't use the carpet pad we already had and naturally wanted to charge us for more.  But since Bill is really good at installing carpet and he has all the tools and such, we'll save about $400 by doing it ourselves (well, himself I guess I should say!).

Also on Sunday we took care of lots of groceries, including all of my ingredients for my holiday baking - peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge, and haystack candies.  I didn't do any baking yet, so that's on my list for later this week or over the weekend.  And we got nearly all of our Christmas shopping taken care of Sunday night too, so that's a big relief!  I hoped to get our Christmas letter written too, but that just didn't happen yet, so it's a high priority for this evening.

Last night right after work I headed up to Toledo for a bell choir practice at Pathway Community Church, where my friend Linda is pastor.  I subbed in their bell choir once last summer, and she asked me to sub again.  We're playing two songs this Sunday, We Three Kings and Away In a Manger.  Practice went really well last night, they've really improved in the last few months!  It helps that they had 8 people last night rather than the 4 we played with last time too.  After that, I visited with our good friends Kurt and Judy in Toledo for a while.  It was great to see them again, since it had been 4 months and we didn't get a whole lot of chance to catch up the last time we saw them since that was at our Big Shindig party last summer.  Overall it was a fun evening, but that's why I didn't get to writing this post until today! :)

No comments: