This weekend was rather awesome for me, but today at work was too busy to post an update, so here goes!
Friday evening, my friend Keli and I went to a concert in Ottawa Lake, MI. I bought the tickets for it like 2 months ago because I was so excited for it - my favorite band, Vota was coming!! Also Barlowgirl and Superchick who I like too. I picked Keli up after her husband got off work to watch their kids. We stopped at Wendy's in Perrysburg for a quick dinner, and were walking in to the church for the concert right about 7:30 when it started. Vota was already up there playing, and we heard the end of their song Free to Fail, and then they said just one more song!! They played Not Finished which is a good song, but apparently they started their set way early and we just caught the tail end of it! I was really bummed, until they said they'd be available for autographs at intermission... then I was still bummed that I missed almost all their songs (and they almost never get to this area!), but not quite as bummed as before. Superchick came on next, and they totally rocked! They played all their best songs, and they have an awesome stage presence too.
And then - intermission! We were some of the first people out to the lobby area, and I bought a Vota T-shirt (one of my goals for the night), and then the guys came out. It was weird though, since they were a band of 3, then they gained one when they became Vota (they were formerly known as Casting Pearls), then 2 of them left in the last few weeks so they got one or two more new guys in. The main guy, Bryan Oleson (formerly of the Newsboys) was out there as well as two others. I got their autographs on an 8x10 picture of them, and then my friend Keli took a picture of me with them too! For those of you not on Twitter/Facebook, here it is:
After that we went back in and heard most of Barlowgirl's set. I had just heard them back in August at the Allen County Fair, but they were still good - especially when we were like less than 20' from the stage! I absolutely love their new song Beautiful Ending (play a sample here) so it was great to hear them play it in concert again (the first time I heard it was at their previous concert - and I bought their album primarily because of it!). We both decided we wanted to leave a song or two early to beat the rush of traffic out of the parking lot, so we did. Keli and I had a great time just hanging out together too, and we didn't stop talking the whole ride there and back of course! I have to say, of all the people I've gone to concerts with, Keli is definitely the most fun and energetic during concerts; we had a great time acting like teenagers (like most everyone else there) for a night!
Saturday Bill was gone all day driving to Chicago with his family. Since his sister Susan will be in a wheelchair all the time as soon as her 300-lb power chair arrives, they needed a vehicle to haul it in. Bill had found and won an already-handicap equipped minivan on eBay for an awesome price offered by Willow Creek ministries, so they drove to Chicago to get it on Saturday. Bill left home to pick them up around 5am (he was so excited he couldn't sleep til he was supposed to leave home at 6am!) and they didn't get back to Findlay until about 10pm. So, I spent all day Saturday doing homework, and it was awesome! Yes, I really do still love doing homework. :) After I got laundry done, I went to a local coffee shop (I go for the strawberry smoothies) for the afternoon to try and meet new people per one of my goals for Supervised Ministry. I did end up meeting a nice girl about my age-ish or a little younger, we had a good conversation about life, work, school, etc. Saturday evening I did more homework, and then my friend Beth called asking if I wanted to get ice cream with her, so I said sure! I tried the strawberry cheesecake flavor at Dietsch's, and it was good, even though my cone was really lopsided and I ended up getting it all over my hand too!
Sunday morning was church as usual, and then Bill and I had lunch with a lady who's fairly new to the church. She came to my women's small group once, but the timing doesn't work out well for her since she only has a sitter for her kids until part way through the group time. So she and I wanted to just chat about stuff and get to know each other more, so we did - and Bill came along for the ride. :) Sunday afternoon I got some more homework done and Bill went to our friends Chuck and Kara's house to help them with some things, and to put the Impala to bed in their garage since they're generously letting us store it there this winter - much closer than Bill's mom's barn in Lima!
Sunday evening I went over to their house too, and Kara and I baked apple crisps while the men worked outside. We all went to dinner at Subway, and then went to see the movie Up. Chuck and Kara had just seen it Friday night, but they wanted to see it again, and I had been wanting to see it too. It was definitely not the typical Disney/Pixar film, but I did like it. It had a lot of sadness but also a lot of comedy. Definitely worth our $2 for a couple hours of entertainment though - I love having a dollar theater here! It was great to hang out with them for an evening too.
And that pretty much sums up my fun weekend!
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment